Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Caramelized Tofu "Croutons" and Salad

This is one of my favorite, simple applications for tofu, and is perfect for hot summer days, as you can make ahead and save for supper time.

I make these salty-sweet crispy-fried tofu cubes specifically to top salad; but they're equally delicious in soup, stirfry, pretty much anything.

This will work fine with regular firm tofu, but I think it turns out just a bit better if you press the tofu first (I know I seldom recommend that you press tofu, but certain recipes, such as this one, do better with firm, pressed, "dry" tofu.)

My favorite super-quick tofu-pressing gadget is called the EZ Tofu Press, (and bonus, it takes up hardly any room when not in use) or you can use the bulky "wrap-in-towels-and-weight-down" method we've all used once or twice.

Once your tofu is ready, I'm going to assume you know how to throw a simple green salad together. I'm not providing a recipe for that, use whatever you like!

Caramelized Tofu "Croutons"


Salt
2 Tbsp Oil (I use coconut oil here)
3 Tbsp light brown sugar
1/8 tsp powdered ginger
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
One 14-ounce package of extra-firm tofu, drained, patted/pressed dry and cut into 1-inch cubes

Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
Sprinkle the tofu cubes with several pinches of salt.

Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the tofu and cook on medium high, flipping the cubes occasionally, until they are golden on all sides, about 5 or more minutes (it will take a while).
Stir in the brown sugar mixture and turn heat to high, the sugar should start to caramelize very quickly. Stir quickly with a metal spatula for just a few seconds or until sugar melts and cubes are coated. Quickly remove pan from heat before it starts to burn!

Top salad or whatever you like with your tofu "croutons". I love topping them with crushed nuts too - They're especially good with a salad that have fruit and/or nuts in it! Enjoy!

1 comments:

Sarah said...

Ooh! I have to try this.